Friday, September 5, 2008

Me likee the shinee!

I'm thinking I might have been a magpie in a prior life; if something is brightly colored and shiny/sparkly, I can't resist it. It's a good thing I'm not a fish, or I would've been caught by some shiny lure long ago. I'm particularly attracted to brightly colored fabrics; maybe it's a residue of living through the 70s, or maybe it's just because it's so rare to find nice jewel-toned clothing (especially emerald or amethyst) in the stores. Those colors only come into season every few years, while boring pastels that make me look anemic are available all the time.

I have the worst time resisting the shiny when I go to the fabric store. I can headed there for something small, like thread, or quilt batting, and I have trouble focusing. It's not really my fault; I have to walk past all the fabric to get to the notions, and I have coupons. My brain does something like this:

Just look for batting ... boring white fuzzy batting ... Oooo! Shinee! ... Don't look at the shiny ... Just go to the back ... But, BLUE shinee! ... No, we have plenty of fabric already, we don't need more ... Smooth shinee! ... We have enough shirts ... But me likee the shinee! Shinee! SHINEEEEEE!

And before I can get a few steps into the store, I'm stopping to look at more fabric. And rationalizing that patterns are on sale for $1.99, and I don't have anything short sleeved and blue, and ... I end up with this:




look, even the buttons are shinee!




So, the first step in combatting an addiction is admitting you have a problem, right? Well, I admit it: Me likee the shinee.

Unfortunately, I still have to go to the fabric store today for interfacing ...

3 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with quilting materials. At least you sew well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have a shelf-ful of quilting projects waiting to be worked on, as well. I have to avoid temptation and not hit Viking Sewing just for my birthday discount (30%!). I really should finish one of my other projects first, but me likee the batiks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You come by your liking for shinee and bright fabrics honestly. Wanna go to Viking on the 20th?

    ReplyDelete