Friday, June 5, 2009

The Quilt Files, Episode 11

So last time I talked about the fun of making twin quilts: same pattern and shared fabrics, but different colors. I originally made one in pink and one in blue, until discovering the second twin had been shy and was actually a boy. So instead I found some green fabrics that coordinated, and voila! Quilts for twin boys!

So what happened to the girl quilt?, you might wonder. Gee, it must be nice to have a spare, you might think. Well, that's what I thought too, at first. That same year the twins were born (2006), I found out my sister-in-law and another cousin were both expecting later in the year. The pink quilt sat in my closet, waiting to be finished for a little girl, but in both cases they discovered a boy was on the way. Another friend announced her pregnancy early in 2007, but since she didn't find out the gender beforehand, I decided to make a gender-neutral play quilt instead. (She ended up having a girl, sigh, but the M Go Blue quilt was much appreciated anyway.) In late 2007 another cousin announced a pregnancy ... and that turned out to be another boy. That pink quilt sat in my closet, taunting me. Wasn't anyone going to have a girl?

Then my friends announced some great news: their adoption from Ethiopia had been approved, and they would soon be bringing home a little girl. Finally! When they introduced us to the adorable little Amilia last spring, I finally had a worthy recipient for the lonely pink quilt. As you can see, it wouldn't have done at all to give it to a boy ... only a beautiful girl should look so pretty in pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment