Friday, June 12, 2009

Still more random thoughts....

... I'm really glad I've been practicing my kimo (straddle) stance in TKD, otherwise my thighs would be screaming after picking berries for over two hours yesterday.

... speaking of berry picking, the rain held off long enough for me to finish picking, but not long enough to haul over 20 quarts of berries to the car. So much for "scattered showers": we got over 3/4 of an inch of rain yesterday, as it poured constantly for several hours.

... other television failures: why do morning TV hosts think this is a good interviewing style:

Host: So you were fishing in shallow waters when a tiger shark came up and latched onto you. You fought back, but it wouldn't let go.

Man: ... That's right. I tried punching it, poking it in the eye, but it wouldn't let go.

Host: So were you thinking, "Hey, I might not survive this"?

Man: Sure.

Host: But eventually you got free.

Man: Yes. I pried his mouth open and worked my arm free.

Host (to wife): Now you look over and see your husband struggling with a shark, and you steer the boat over to his side. He's bleeding profusely, but you manage to wrestle him back into the boat all by yourself.

Woman: ... Yes.

Host: How were you able to do that? Was it just pure adrenaline?

Woman: I think so. I knew I had to get him back to shore, so I just pulled him into the boat.

This style is used all the time, and explains why everyday people sound so tongue-tied on television: it's because the interviewers want to tell all the interesting bits, and rarely ask questions unless they're of the yes-or-no variety. I just thought I'd point that out, in case you're ever tempted to do a live TV interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment