Tuesday, June 3, 2008

There should be a word for this.

I suspect there are many people in the Detroit area suffering along with me this morning. No, not because their beloved Red Wings lost last night, but because they stayed up way past their bedtime watching the game. Now, I usually have a practical approach to watching playoff sports. If the game lasts way past my bedtime, I stop watching and go to sleep. I tell myself, "If they win, I can watch the next game in the series. If they lose, I don't want to see that anyway." But last night the Red Wings could have clinched the Stanley Cup (and were 35 seconds away from doing so, grrrr), so I didn't want to miss that. So I stayed up through triple overtime and didn't get to bed until after 12:30 am.

So now it's the morning after. I got up at the usual time (6:45) and now I feel bleary. My head is vaguely achy, I need a nap, and caffeine is not dealing with my usual morning grumps. (Plus Gigi is mewing at me because she wants to play. But, being Gigi, she will not let me get close enough to play, thus forcing me to move--blech--if I want to shut her up.) Now, if I felt this way because I'd had a little too much to drink, I'd know what to call it. I think most of us are familiar with the term "hangover." (Thanks for the lesson, RAF Association Band of Hillingdon!) It's a dreadful state caused by over-indulgence and it's all our fault.

So what to call my current physical state? It's certainly dreadful, it's caused by over-indulgence (of the TV), and it's my own fault, as much as I'd like to blame Maxime what's-his-face for sending the game into overtime. Maybe I'll call it a bangover, because "BANG! The game is over! Now try to sleep, ha ha ha!" Nah, that doesn't really sound right. A gangover, because I was watching my gang until the game was over? Ehhhh.

I think I should leave any more attempts to coin new words to mornings when I'm not suffering from--whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    This sounds better than running over to the lab and studying. I just need a quick break, then back to books and just for fun I think I'll finish a dissection this pm.
    Finals next week. So I can blather too.
    TTYL

    ReplyDelete