Friday, September 26, 2008

Brain on vacation!

Some days, you just don't want to be a grownup anymore. Today we had the largest bank failure ever, and we're approaching a global financial panic. (Or at least the media keeps alleging, to keep us watching.) I could be all Chicken Little, watch endless coverage on CNN or CNBC or BBC or some other unholy acronym, but my brain says, no, let's go on vacation! If Congress can't be grown-up, I don't have to be, either! So here are some of my favorite ways to send my brain on vacation. And yes, I know there are lots of cats involved.

1. I Can Has Cheezburger: A website filled with funny pictures of cats, accompanied by silly captions. You can browse their hundreds of pics, caption someone else's pic, or upload your own. Here is one I contributed:

funny pictures

2. Cats Who Look Like Hitler: Yes, there is an entire website devoted to cats who have funny mustache markings. Again, it's mainly user-generated, with photos uploaded by cat lovers whose felines look like one of world's most famous and reviled ailurophobes. (Ailurophobe=cat-hater. The irony is delicious.) What always amuses me is how many of these owners name their cat "Adolf" or even "Hitler." I suppose it's a big "up yours" to turn the world's most notorious dictator into a fuzzy pet:


3. Then there's Stupid Videos, which is as advertised: full of dumb stuff. I like to browse the animals section, and see the stupid stuff people do with/to animals, or that animals do to them. (I love the "Adopt-a-Pet" TV segment in which a cat almost castrates the control officer, or the Sleepy Kitten, or the TV ad with a cat on a ceiling fan.) My favorite, though, is a silly, stupid song someone submitted:



I apologize if this silly song is now stuck in your head like it is in mine (and the 6+ million people who have also viewed this video), but sometimes your brain just needs to take a break!

1 comment:

  1. Diane,
    In fairness to we who love dogs, I think you should give the canines equal time.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete