Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall is here!

Yesterday was the first day of fall, my favorite season. Some people love summer for the heat and lazy days; others prefer spring, with its fresh breezes and new flowers. There are even some crazy people who prefer winter and love being in the snow. (I will admit that I missed snow just a little bit while I was living in London.) But for me, fall is the season that tops them all.

First of all, there's the weather. The days are temperate, even warm, but not very humid, so I can enjoy the outdoors without wheezing like a broken vacuum cleaner. As a bonus, the nights are nice and cool, so I can sleep easily. (I think I've mentioned I like my sleep.) I received the first notice of fall last week when I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I couldn't move my legs because the cat was sleeping on them. She never does that when it's warm.

Another thing I like about the fall is the sense of possibilities. Sure, spring is the time of rebirth. (If you remember how messy birth can be, maybe that's not such a great analogy.) For me, though, fall holds more potential. When I was a student, fall meant the beginning of a new year—new classes, new friends, new things to learn. (I was a nerd, so I liked school.) I'm not a student any more, but I still get that feeling: there's new music to learn at band practice and new students to teach at the TKD studio. Fall is also the beginning of football season, when all my teams have the potential of being champions. (Okay, maybe not so much for the Lions, but a girl can dream, can't she?)

Then there's the bonus: my birthday is in the fall. Okay, maybe not technically, since it's two days before the equinox, but anything after Labor Day is "fall" for my purposes. I like my birthday. I get presents. People say nice things to me, like "You don't look 43!" I get cake.* So hurray for fall! Let the days get a little shorter and the leaves turn crimson. I'll just sit back and enjoy it.

*Well, not this year, but I made a tray of Rice Krispie treats instead. It's a good substitute, especially since Boy and TSU have left it mostly to me. Or did I beat them away with a stick? In any case, I do believe I ate the whoooole thing. Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right?

2 comments:

  1. I think the ants ate part of the RKT. So you didn't eat the whoooolle thing. Unless you ate some of the ants too......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why they tasted extra krispy, even after a couple of days....

    ReplyDelete